Wednesday 20 November 2013

Toners for Blonde Hair

I've died/bleached my hair blonde way too many times over the past few years than I'd like to admit. My natural colour is mousey brown/dark blonde but I like it to be a lighter blonde. However I keep facing the problem that my hair goes a very yellowy tone after a few weeks of dyeing it, when I'd prefer it to be a more cool, ash blonde.

And so recently off Amazon I bought:
Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Color Freeze Silver Shampoo - a shampoo that you leave on for up to 5mins.
Fudge Paintbox Whiter Shade of Pale  - a toner that you apply to dry hair and leave on for up to an hour.

Shampoos/conditioners/toners etc that are purple are designed to remove yellow/brassy tones from blonde hair as it counteracts the colour (purple is opposite to yellow on the colour spectrum).

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of my hair before I used the products but here is a photo of before I went on a night out so you can sort of get an idea of my hair (I'm on the right obviously):





Photo of my hair after:


So it's kind of hard to tell the difference because there is different lighting in the photos. Also just one application does not make a huge amount of difference - these are the sort of products that you need to use a good few times before noticing a big change.

Since taking this photo I have used both products a lot more and have concluded that the toner is more effective at achieving cool, lighter tones than the shampoo, probably because it is stronger. However the shampoo is good at making my hair feel soft. Both products are great for bringing out highlights in my hair and giving it a refreshing lift. I will continue to use these products but you have to be careful that you don't overuse them as your hair could go a little bit grey!

Have you used any toners/purple shampoos? What are the best ones for blonde hair?

Thanks for reading and for more of the latest news and reviews from the Beauty Hot Squad please follow us on Blog Lovin' 

2 comments :

  1. Haven't heard of Fudge doing a toner for blonde hair before looks good going to have to try this.

    Sophie
    xx
    www.pocockins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good :) also you can mix it with bright, bold colours (e.g. purple, pink or blue hair dye) to create pastel shades xx

    ReplyDelete